Reviews

About Sally Terry

Free Motion Techniques and Tools For Longarm and Home Machine Quilting


Sewing since 3 and machine quilting, teaching, writing books and creating innovative techniques since 1999, Sally's simple and easy to implement tips will help you reach your desired skill level, increase your techniques, learn the latest trends, gain confidence, and create extraordinary quilts for yourself and for others. She's created many original dynamic products and classes to help you grow your quilting world - and yourself - ranging from the building blocks for beginning machine quilters to intricate feathering techniques for those advanced in our craft. Plus her marketing strategies to establish a successful business sustaining professional company are helping hundreds of professional machine quilters and quilt shops.


And her innovative business programs are unrivaled. Taking her classes face-to-face gives you a chance for you to personally work with a "marketing expert", "coach" and a true mentor. From virtual online classes that allow you to connect one-on-one as if you were sitting directly in her class, or to personal mentoring she offers many levels of machine quilting classes, training, creative inspiration, and business coaching.
To inquire about Sally teaching or speaking at your next event, please contact us at sally.terry.quilting@gmail.com or call (863) 578-4585. Private Lessons Available in Jacksonville, FL or at your location.


Machine Quilters are starting more ways to machine quilt than ever before. With over 30 different categories from quilted vests to comforters and bedspreads. It is time to take more control over your learning experiences, utilizing low-cost technology and the internet to develop new skills with new techniques to accomplish what you have always dreamed of with confidence and expertise.


Meet Sally Terry -- the voice for Machine Quilters everywhere. Since starting her business 18 years ago in a tiny apartment in West Des Moines, Iowa, she's grown her influence reaching 10's of thousands of machine quilters worldwide with her unique style of clever always original free motion friendly quilting techniques and business strategies for soloprenuers and small businesses. And she wants to show you how to improve your quilting success, no matter what level you want to take it to.

Over the past four years alone, Sally received the honor of having the No. 1 Quilting Book Hooked On Feathers, published by American Quilters Society, Blue Ribbons for machine quilting, IMQA Teacher of the Year, feature articles in numerous Quilting Magazines, TV appearances, published books, videos, and conducted hundreds of classes to thousands of quilters from large National quilt shows to individual classes.


So whether you are a newby machine quilter, own a small quilt shop, have a machine quilting business, a single sole proprietor or employ dozens or simply quilt for your own pleasure,you are about to discover and learn techniques, strategies and secrets from the woman called the Machine Quilters Leading GURU by those she touched with her in-depth knowledge as the top creative innovator in machine quilting.                                            


Sally Terry REVIEWS


   Business Classes - taken from written teacher evaluation forms    


6 Step System To Building Your Machine Quilting Business Class


“Wow! The class went by so fast, absolutely engaging. She is so personable too!”

“Thanks again for the wonderful class on “6 Step System To Build Your Quilting Business”. I have come away with some great ideas…”

“Thank you! Really looking forward to going over the DVD. Appreciate your suggestion on how to handle family & friends who want freebies.”


“6 Steps was helpful. Sally is certainly a showman but then part of the point is learning how to market yourself. Don’t regret taking it.”


“Great handout w/ a lot of space in the margins to take notes, covered a lot of info & had examples of the “6-Steps”.”




10 Mortal Sins of Machine Quilting Customer Service



"I wish I had taken this class earlier, 2 hours is not enough."


"Hi, Sally. Just going over your 10 Mortal Sins and wondering just how you knew what I am doing?? Maxine H., Anchorage, AL


"We would like you to know that we really appreciate you and your teaching. We want all the Sally Wisdom we can get, in order to grow our business even more:-} Thanks again, not only for your generosity, your teaching skills, but also all you do for the longarm machine quilting world." Lin & Clark Roseville, CA



Social Marketing for Machine Quilting Services



"I was intimidated at first but felt more comfortable as people shared. I enjoyed the video process. I needed to push through the comfort zone."


Machine Quilting Classes - taken from written teacher evaluation forms, emails &  thank you notes  

"I've taken several classes from you and thoroughly enjoy your sense of humor, business savvy and understanding the plight of a beginning quilter.”



Free Motion Freedom with "Wiggle Room" Machine Quilting Class



“Sally is such a character. She made everyone feel welcome (and entertained!) Loved the Hooked on Feathers and even though I have been longarming for 7 years, I picked up several good pointers from the Free Motion class.”


“Excellent. Such enthusiasm and encouragement.”



From Quilt Top To Quilted Class



“Felt like we barely scratched the surface. This lady is a wealth of information. Plan to take more classes from her.”



Hooked On Feathers & More Hooked On Feathers Quilting Class



“The teacher and materials were excellent.”

“The instructor covered the technique very well enjoyed her personality!”
“The teacher and materials were excellent.”
 “Sally made the class a lot of fun!”
“Thoroughly enjoyed the class, very informative”
“The workshop itself was wonderful”“As always – a fun informative class!”
“Great, I learned so much"
“Great class, very personable.”
“Sally did a great job”
“Good info and upbeat teacher”
“Handout book is great. No taking out feathers or marking.”
“Very easy technique, excellent demo”
“Teacher was fun & easy to understand”
“Very informative & personal. Loved it.” 
“good technique, interesting
“a little hard to grasp the concept at first but when it kicked in it was amazing.”
“easy to follow, great handout, sense of humor”
 “Hi; I took “Hooked on Feathers” at Innovations with you recently. I have been drawing these. Today was the first time I tried a sample and even bad feathers are incredibly pretty. I am hooked! I adored your class.”
“I would like to say thank you for your inspiration. I had the wonderful opportunity of taking two classes from you at MQS in Kansas. It was my first MQS show and you were an inspiration. Thank you for your Hooked on Feathers technique.Great classes!”
“Sally is fun, energetic, enthusiastic, and very informative. Great hand-outs!”
“Excellent presentation. Captured and interacted with the audience.”
“Great sense of humor, very informative.”
“Sally made the class a lot of fun!”
“Thoroughly enjoyed the class, very informative”
“The workshop itself was wonderful”
“As always – a fun informative class!”
“Great, I learned so much”
“Great class, very personable.”
“Good info and upbeat teacher”
“Sally did a great job”
“Handout book is great. No taking out feathers or marking.”
“Very easy technique, excellent demo”
“Teacher was fun & easy to understand” 
“Very informative & personal. Loved it.”
“a little hard to grasp the concept at first but when it kicked in it was amazing.”
“easy to follow, great handout, sense of humor” 
“Great class. I am amazed that I can do what she shows us. Practical uses, easy transfer of technique for various kinds of quilts, borders, sashing, blocks, etc. Thanks!”
“Hi; I took “Hooked on Feathers” at Innovations with you recently. I have been drawing these. Today was the first time I tried a sample and even bad feathers are incredibly pretty. I am hooked! I adored your class.”
“I would like to say thank you for your inspiration. I had the wonderful opportunity of taking two classes from you at MQS in Kansas. It was my first MQS show and you were an inspiration."
“Sally is fun, energetic, enthusiastic, and very informative. Great hand-outs!”
“This is the 2nd class I took from Ms. Terry. I learned even more in the 2nd class then I did in the 1st. She has inspired me to go for it. Thanks for having her.”
“Loved Sally – great personality & teacher. She truly loves what she does!”
“Organized disorder. Sally always makes class fun while teaching bunches! Time goes too fast in her classes!”
“Great book supplied”
“Excellent handout – Sally is tops!”
“Sally is a wonderful teacher. She is very funny and very encouraging!”
“I love her Class!!”
“excellent presentation – the camera helped!!”
“Very good class”
“This works! Thanks so much.”
“Very interesting technique – good ideas.”


Instant Fills & Meanders Free Motion Class



“Thanks for the great tips & ideas!”

“Wonderful class!!”
“This was so much fun.”
“I am a hand quilter but was impressed by the machine work – if only I could get a machine like that – I’d machine quilt.”
“Lots of info given. Loved the handouts!”
“This is my 3rd class from Sally & it won’t be my last! She gives ideas that are exactly what you have been looking for.”
“Thank you for telling me it doesn’t have to be perfect.”
“Great information, great handouts, exercises. Very willing to take questions & inspire.”
“Loved it! Lots of great ideas – very high energy teacher – lots of discussions – great format.”


The Language of Quilting Class 



“Sally made me feel that this was within my reach. Lovely, very personable instructor.”

“The class was great.”
“Fun & Excellent – Great ideas. What more could & quilter want from a class.”
“Very good – will be back”
“Sally Terry is very encouraging.”
“Helpful”
“Very informative & enjoyable”
“Sally gave us more info for the beginners on longarm quilting than anyone ever before, and in a short period of time. Way to go Sally!!”
“I only have a regular sewing machine and was not happy at first but I ended up loving the class and getting a lot out of it!”
“I did not know this was for machine quilting. However, the info will be useful.”
“This class must be on the first day! It would have been so much more useful and saved me from falling behind in other classes where I tried to figure out a design, where to take it etc.. I believe it would greatly benefit new quilters and beginners to be early on…”


Mid Arm Magic - Short Arm Magic for Home Machine Quilting Class



“I have let my machine sit for over 6 months. I learned more the first hour than I could imagine. I’m cranking up the machine Monday morning!”

“This was a Christmas present. I learned a lot but I have a Gammill, Thanks.”
“Class should be all day.”
“Wonderful tips & information”
“Loved it!”
“Absolutely awesome teacher & class!! Sally gave some wonderful tips!! Took lots of notes.”
“Great teacher”
“Good class”


Pathways To Better Quilting Class



“I really like critiquing of quilt tops.”

“Best class! Wish this one had been first. This was so helpful for choosing quilting designs for the quilt tops.”
“Fun class! Always learn something!”
“Great information”

Terry Twist Designs & A Splash of Inspiration Class


“Nice job. Great information. You handled the teaching really well. Can’t wait until I can get home and practice.”

“Sally Terry did a great job of freeing me from my fear of having to be perfect in my quilting. I am ready to go home & be free to create.”
“Very enjoyable to have hands-on!”
“Great class”
“Great teacher”
“Fun class – new ideas, great handouts.”
“method makes sense”
“Very enthusiastic” “exceptionally good handout” “Great class! So much good info & clear instruction – also lots of encouragement!”
“Lots of ideas built on basics”
“Good information – stayed on the subject.”
“had much info”
“Wonderful. Great ideas.”
“great ideas & the teacher was wonderful!”
“As usual had a great time in class. Sally was great. Lots of good ideas. Fun.”


Walking Borders, Sashings & Meanders Free Motion Class



"It was easy to comprehend. Sally is easy to understand. Great teacher!”

“Very good handouts – Instructor very prepared and enjoyable!”
“She does an excellent job of encouraging you to do your own thing.”
“Loved it!”
“Fun & informative.”
“Good to be able to have ‘Hands-On’”
“After 4 days of non-stop quilt stuff, my creative juices have just exploded all over the longarm! Thanks.”
“Very good & interesting”
“Fun and very helpful”
“Excellent handout – best I received.”


Caffeinated Threads with the Jitters Machine Quilting Class



"I signed up because it was Sally. Love ya girlfriend-- Thanks for all you do. Bunches of Hugs." 



Chandelier Feathers Free Motion Class



“Good feather class! Taught how to build on feathers and not be afraid using different types of feathers! GREAT!!!"

"Wow! Can't wait to go home and let the feathers fly—or swing or swirl! Thank you Sally!" 


Sally Terry's Machine Quilting Books

“Hi Sally! I bought your book last winter and have used your Hooked on Feathers method on 2 full-size quilts. I quilt on my Bernina 430 home sewing machine. I’m sending you a picture of me and one of my Hooked on Feathers quilts. I donated it to a local benefit quilt show/auction. It won judges Grand prize (90 quilts entered). As you can see, there is nothing particularly spectacular about the top. I believe it was the quilting that gave it the edge. Thanks for your book.” Denise


Hooked on Feathers looks like a way for me to finally be able to do feathers! Thank you so much for publishing this book and also for the Terry Twist CD and designs."


“Received your Hooked on Feathers book for Mother’s Day (I have it on my “wish list”) and just completed a baby quilt, a donation to our guild’s fall show. Thought it would be a good trial quilt to practice. It came out so beautifully that I’m not sure I want to give it away. Your technique was easy even for a relative beginner.”


“I love your book Hooked on Feathers – I’ve bought several copies. I enjoyed mine so much and wanted to share it with a few “feather cripple” friends.”


“I love the book.” Hooked on Feathers 


“I am going to recommend your book to all my quilting friends. (I am using a home sewing machine and this method will make my quilts look more professional.)”


“Thanks Sally. I am so crazy about Hooked on Feathers. I have only had my machine for about 6 months. Lately, I have been doing HOF on pre-printed holiday panels to practice and they look wonderful. Our president of the guild just bought a machine and was having some problems so she came over. I set up a sample for her and showed her how to do Hooked on Feathers. She stopped on the way home and bought the book and was very very excited. Her very first feather set looked fabulous!”


“These feathers are so much nicer looking than traditional feathers plus I have the freedom to do ANYTHING I want to do with them! When I return from England I have a twin-sized quilt that I plan to do since I now have my confidence in my ability to make wonderful Hooked on Feathers. Can’t wait for the compliments.”


Hooked on Feathers looks like a way for me to finally be able to do feathers! Thank you so much for publishing this book and also for the Terry Twist CD and designs."


“A good friend of mine, got a copy of your book (Pathways to Better Quilting) for me when she attended IMQA last month. I just had to drop you a note to tell you how much I like it. Your book is excellent."


"I am a new longarm quilter, and I truly appreciate the encouraging and manner you have of presenting information about quilting. Your book (Pathways to Better Quilting) makes quality quilting seem very achievable, even for a beginner.”


“I just wanted to tell you that I incorporated your 5 shapes into my intermediate machine quilting class and it worked wonderfully! It seems to be the answer to get people to make the move from stippling to other designs. I highly recommend your book (Pathways to Better Quilting).”


“…I was so pleased when I opened your book (Pathways to Better Quilting) and saw that YES there are specific symbols we can learn that can be used over and is very easy for the brain to use and interpret. Anyway, thanks for the great book From Quilt Top To Quilted, too. I’m excited to put it all into action.”


"WOW, WOW, WOW, read this book From Quilt Top To Quilted on the way back from MQS in the car. It is exactly what I needed and all the information you put in that is GREAT!"


"I bought a copy of your new book From Quilt Top To Quilted and keep it by on my bedside table and read it every night. I raved about it to my quilting friend and loaned it to her. Well I couldn't sleep and be without it so in 3 days called her and said she would have to get her own book, I wanted mine back. Thank you for writing such a terrific book!"




To inquire about Sally teaching or speaking at your next event, please contact Sally at
sally.terry.quilting@gmail.com or (863)-5QUILT5.
Sally's machine quilting knowledge has been shared at 100's of events, guilds
and quilt shops
 for the last 20 years.